FAMILY-RUN HAULIER POLLOCK (SCOTRANS) HIT THE GROUND RUNNING WHEN IT MOVED INTO THE LORRY-MOUNTED CRANE AND HEAVY-HAULAGE SECTOR FOLLOWING AN ACQUISITION AT THE START OF THE YEAR. NOW POLLOCK LIFT & SHIFT IS PLANNING ITS FUTURE IN A COMPETITION MARKET. KEVIN SWALLOW TRAVELS TO WEST LOTHIAN TO FIND OUT MORE.
PHOTOGRAPHY: KARL HOPKINSON
Like many Scottish hauliers Pollock (Scotrans) runs a fleet of trucks and trailers with a distinctive look. The turquoise, gold and red livery with tartan is instantly recognisable. Since October 2006 Pollock (Scotrans) has been based on a nine-acre site at Bathgate, West Lothian, following its move from Musselburgh where it had been based since 1954.
The company goes back even further. In 1935 George Pollock started in Corstorphine, west Edinburgh, growing the transport business until it was nationalised in 1949. His business became part of British Road Services with George as the group manager for East Lothian and the Borders. When partial de-nationalisation took place in 1954 he bought some vehicles and acquired an Operator’s License to ‘restart’ the business.